Thursday, March 24, 2016

Architecture Preview

Atomium, Belgium
  1. André Waterkeyn and Jean Polak.
  2. 1958
  3. Located in the City of Brussels.
  4. It is a public building, so people are able to enter.
  5. No, it does not give price details.
  6. " It symbolized the democratic will to maintain peace among all the nations, faith in progress, both technical and scientific and, finally, an optimistic vision of the future of a modern, new, super-technological world for a better life for mankind." (http://atomium.be/history.aspx) 
  7. I picked this building because I thought it looked really spectacular. I first saw it and fell in love. I saw the reflective surfaces and immediately wanted to know more about it. I love the idea of a building like that because it is like a trophy for mankind. It shows that we can build amazing spectacles and that science is really cool and fun. 
Eden project, United Kingdom

  1. Nicholas Grimshaw
  2. 1995
  3. Bodelva, United Kingdom
  4. It is a public visit-able building.
  5. £141m
  6. It was built to show people how much we depend on plants and to inform people about water problems and give tips about gardening.
  7. I chose this building because I saw the building structure and I thought that it was amazing-looking and when I read a little about their ideas about water conservation and gardening I had to write more about the founding of the Eden Project. 

Burj Al Arab, Dubai, UAE


  1. Tom Wright (Of Atkins)
  2. Construction ended in 1999
  3. It is located in Dubai, UAE. 
  4. It is a hotel, in which people can visit and stay.
  5. It does not give any price details.
  6. It symbolizes how well Dubai has been progressing technologically, and socially in the world today.
  7. Dubai ( and the UAE) has always fascinated  me. Just where they are located, and how well they are progressing today is really spectacular. When we were learning about Dubai, the UAE, and the Middle East in geography, I grew a liking to those countries. When I saw that there was an option for Dubai, I didn't have to know what the building looked like to want to know more about it. 
Krzywy Domek (The Crooked House), Poland

  1. Szotyńscy & Zaleski. Inspired by the artworks of Jan Marcin Szancer.
  2. It was constructed in 2004.
  3. Sopot, Poland.
  4. It is part of a public, shopping center; therefore people can visit it.
  5. It doesn't reveal any pricing on the building.
  6. This building was created for a public place. It is different and unique so it would attract more people into that city. It was also built because the architects wanted a real building that looks like it "came out of a fairy tale" to be a reality.
  7. When I first did a search on it I was aw-struck. I couldn't believe that there could actually be a building that would look that strange. I didn't know that there were any architecture feats that could actually bring something like that crooked old house straight out of a fairy tale book. It's different uniqueness raised a flag that I had to look into.
Cubic Houses, Netherlands

  1. Piet Blom.
  2. The original idea started in the 1970's and the houses built in Rotterdam were built in 1984.
  3. Rotterdam and Helmon, Netherlands. 
  4. It is a public apartment complex.
  5. No prices are given. 
  6. They were built with one concept in mind, "Living as an urban roof".He design the buildings to each represent a tree, and together all those "trees" make a forest in the middle of the city like Blom had hopes for.
  7. I chose this building because the idea of houses that make a forest was really cool. I thought that learning more about those cubic homes tilted at a 45 degree angle would be pretty great. I love challenges and when I heard about some houses that were cubic houses tilted on large, tall buildings I thought that it would be a good learning experience if I read about the houses. 











No comments:

Post a Comment